International Human Rights Day in Vistula. Let’s celebrate together with the United Nations Association in Poland
The event will also be the day of the premiere of the publication – #DeklaracjaNaszychPraw (a series of texts, explaining the ideas contained in the Universal Declaration of Human Rights).
71 years ago, the United Nations designated December the 10th as Human Rights Day. To mark this occasion, the United Nations Association in Poland cordially invites you to participate in an event, organised on the campus of Vistula University in Warsaw, which happens to be the strategic partner of the Association. The event was prepared by the “Human Rights: Active Citizen” programme, led by Aleksandra Krzykawska and Karolina Tulik.
International Human Rights Day is celebrated to emphasise the importance of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights, signed on December the 10th, 1948. It has become a landmark document that proclaims the inalienable rights that everyone enjoys as a human being – regardless of race, colour, religion, gender, language, political opinion, national or social origin, property, birth, or other status.
It is worth remembering, however, that human rights are given, but also sometimes abused, so, in every generation they must be pursued, talked about, and upheld. The extent to which the rights arising from the Declaration are guaranteed, depends on the international community and individual states.
Each of us can also take steps to respect human rights better. So, let’s not be indifferent, let’s open up to the world and support an independent media.
The UNAP programme: “Human Rights: Active Citizen” has laid the plans for a special event on human rights and the related opportunities and threats in the 21st century.
2:00 pm – 2:15 pm – Formal opening, welcome (In English):
- Bartłomiej E. Nowak, PhD – President of the Vistula Group of Universities,
- Wawrzyniec Konarski, PhD – Rector of Vistula University, AFiB Vistula,
- Aleksandra Krzykawska – Co-ordinator of the Human Rights Programme at UNAP.
2:15 pm – 2:30 pm – Keynote Speech (In English):
- dr Jose Ramos Horta – Nobel Peace Prize Winner, President of Timor-Leste (2008-2012)
2:30 pm – 2:45 pm – Interactive quiz for the audience (In English). Winners will be awarded some prizes!!!
2:45 pm – 3:00 pm – Networking break
3:00 pm – 4:00 pm – High-level expert debate (In Polish) – (with possible English translation):
- Mirosław Wróblewski – Director of the Constitutional, International and European Law Department in the office of the Commissioner for Human Rights of Poland,
- Gabriela Morawska-Stanecka – Deputy Marshall of the Senate of the Republic of Poland,
- Zuzanna Rudzińska-Bluszcz – President of the ClientEarth Foundation,
- Beata Faracik – President of the Polish Institute of Human and Business Rights.
4:00 pm – 4:45 pm – Workshop (In English)
4:45 pm – 5:30 pm – Presentation of the results of work in groups (In English).
Registration will be closed on the 5th of December at 6:00 pm
We cordially invite you to attend this worthy event on:
December the 10th, from 14: 00-17: 30, Aula 4.
Due to the growing number of COVID-19 cases in the Republic of Poland, participants may be notified, in case any last-minute changes are necessary, (e.g. the event takes place on-line, gets postponed, etc….).